Re:Triumph Herald/Vitesse Convertibles

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:Triumph Herald/Vitesse Convertibles
From: Andy Mace <AMACE@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 1994 13:17:01 PDT
Paul, a Herald or Vitesse is definitely a viable option for an LBC family
car. Note first of all, though, that the back seat is not all that
comfortable for long distances for anyone approaching adult physical
size. The backrest is rather upright and the width is limited somewhat by
the top well.

That said, look to spend at least a couple grand for a solid, serviceable
Herald and probably another grand or so minimum for the Vitesse. Most
critical to look for/at is the chassis frame: if it's not rock solid,
best to forget that car. They are repairable to a point, but it's far,
far better to start with an unrusted one. (Warning: they are not so easy
to find in such condition! It was a real weak point with these cars,
especially in any areas considered to be rust belt areas.)

Beyond that, spares are not difficult to obtain. If you know what you're
looking for, equivalent parts from Spitfires (Herald) and GT6
(Vitesse/Sports 6) swap easily or are, in fact, the same. This fact also
makes it possible and relatively straightforward a job to upgrade a
Herald to almost Spitfire performance; likewise Vitesse to GT6.

If you're interested in more details, feel free to contact me and I'll
help however I can.

Andrew Mace
Herald/Vitesse Consultant, Vintage Triumph Register
amace%sedofis@vm1.nysed.gov
or
amace@unix2.nysed.gov