Re: Electrical problems in 79 Midget

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, flarsen@uclink.berkeley.edu,
Subject: Re: Electrical problems in 79 Midget
From: flarsen@uclink.berkeley.edu (Flemming Larsen)
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 1994 23:50:23 -0700
Please pardon my previous "null-content" message. I had a Lucas keyboard
total meltdown! Fortunately, I always carry a spare.

Ray James <rwj4123@sigma.tamu.edu> has some current loose:

> With respect to my suspicions about the alternator, a charging check
> at Western Auto indicated proper charging.  I am suspicious of a leak
> within the alternator, though, because I noticed when charging the
> battery (6 amp charger) the alternator was noticably warm.  Is this
> normal?  Does this symptom indicate a short to ground within the
> alternator?  There are two hot (unswitched) brown wires connected to
> alternator.  No measurable voltage on any terminal of the starter
> solenoid except the hot ones.

My bet is on one or more shorted diodes in the alternator.

Try disconnecting the wires to the alternator. If the discharge problem
goes away ... problem diagnosed!

 -- Flemming Larsen                      flarsen@uclink.berkeley.edu