miscellaneous

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: miscellaneous
From: Lewis Dunbar Dove <mfldd@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 1994 15:04:01 -0500 (CDT)
Hi again:
        I have a few unrelated but important (to me) tidbits to
relay:
1. Any SOLs going to the Heartland British Autofest in East
Davenport, IA this weekend? How about it Gregory; can you and your
better half and the Green Man make it? The show is on Sunday and is
sponsored by the Quad Cities British Auto Club. Call Corky Swanson,
Jr. at 309/755-7196 (days) or 309/764-1423 (after 7 pm). I don't know
Mr. Swanson, or indeed anyone in the club, but I have gone to their
show the last 2 years and have had a great time. Saturday they have
an autocross and a lot of social stuff. I haven't been able to get
there for their first day's activities, but the schedule looks like
fun.  I will put on an SOL name tag on Sunday in case anyone on this
service goes. That's Sunday, August 28.
2. My next door neighbor has a low-mileage TR8 which he purchased
new. It has always had an overheating problem. What is the best way
to fix it and not alter it too radically?
3. I recently picked up a spare distributer to use in case my
Allison/Crane equipped distributer conks out on the highway. The
distributer is from an MG 1100 and the vendor claims it will work on
my 1965 MGB engine. The price was right and it looks like it will
fit. Since I am only interested in getting home or some cosy place
for repairs, I bought it. The question is: How different is it from
the stock MGB distributer? Would there be any long term problems if I
left in the car? I assume the advance curve is different; how
different?
4. For the sake of discussion: Why does the polarity of the
distributer points matter?  I don't see why an early MG distributer
couldn't be wired either way and work just fine! I am reminded of my
brother's '37 Ch*vy which had a reversing switch in the ignition so
that the polarity was reversed every time the ignition switch was
turn on! That led to interesting experiences when one of the two sets
of contacts wore out.  It would only start every other time the
switch was turned on!
        Bye for now
                Lew Dove