Re: gasket cpd, bath sponges and old socks

To: bryan@Roborough.gpsemi.COM, blaced@CHMA.CIBA.COM
Subject: Re: gasket cpd, bath sponges and old socks
From: Duncan Bryan <bryan@Roborough.gpsemi.COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 1994 14:35:54 +0100
*
*On the subject of gaskets compounds, I think a lot of modern UK engines are
*assembled using a filled silicone gasket compound called "Rodor-Seal" (?),
*instead of paper gaskets. I had a tube once and, it sealed anything.
*
Not seen it in any spares shops. Presumably you can buy it if you look
hard enough. I'll give it a go.

*On the total bodge level, I have rebuilt my TR4A gearbox using only silicone
*bath sealent, due to being a student at the time. I doesn't leak, but I'm
*not convinced that the acetic acid formed in the cure reaction doesn't eat into
*the aluminium casing (I guess you could call it self-etch all purpose gasket
*compound).

A friend of mine also has a Citroen CX, his engine stabiliser bar and
his gearbox end mounting have perished and separated from the metal.
As he is skint he improvised (bodged )them. The stabiliser bar had some
holes drilled in the rubber and some wooden wedges hammered in to stop
it flopping.  The gearbox end mounting is another problem altogether,
beyond bits of wood. To stop the gearbox end flopping round he removed the
bolt, stuffed a bath sponge and some old socks between the gearbox and
the end plate and refitted the bolt. That bodge has held for over 12 months.

I'd better not mention bath sealant to him.

By far his worst bodge ever was to repair an 8 foot long, 2 inch deep gash
in the side of a Sherpa van using roofing felt.

I want to hear peoples WORST ever bodges. I'm not admitting to mine
until I hear some that are worse ( bath sealant not included ).
*
*PS  any UK people know where I could find a BMW 2002 gearbox? the old one just
*blew up.
*
Should`ve used a bath sponge.

Sorry don't know. I could ring some scrapyards if you like.

Bodge bodge bodge,

Duncan