gasket cpd

To: bryan@Roborough.gpsemi.COM
Subject: gasket cpd
From: blaced@CHMA.CIBA.COM (D. Lacey)
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 94 14:51:10 +0200
On the subject of gaskets compounds, I think a lot of modern UK engines are
assembled using a filled silicone gasket compound called "Rodor-Seal" (?),
instead of paper gaskets. I had a tube once and, it sealed anything.

On the total bodge level, I have rebuilt my TR4A gearbox using only silicone
bath sealent, due to being a student at the time. I doesn't leak, but I'm
not convinced that the acetic acid formed in the cure reaction doesn't eat into
the aluminium casing (I guess you could call it self-etch all purpose gasket
compound).

As far as Rolls Royce are concerned, gasket compounds normally state if they
conform to RR standards.

Dave.

PS  any UK people know where I could find a BMW 2002 gearbox? the old one just
blew up.