Duct tape

To: <British-Cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Duct tape
From: "POCHE@music.loyno.edu" <POCHE@MUSIC.LOYNO.EDU>
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 94 12:58:53 CDT
SendMail TO(BritCars) Subj(Duct tape) File(AUG01941.oma)
BlackTiger Mailer - Msg Created 08-01-1994 .. 11:50:10

>Date: Thu, 28 Jul 1994 17:11:42 +0100
>From: uclyjjd <uclyjjd@ucl.ac.uk>
>Subject: Duct tape
>

>This will probably sound like a very stupid question to the American
>readers of this list ...
>
>What _is_ duct tape ?  I suppose it's the stuff you tape air
>conditioning ducts together with.  Aparantly it has a light side, a
>dark side and holds the universe together <grin>
>
>In the UK we have stuff called "gaffer" tape which is a couple of
>inches wide, usually silver, made of woven fabric with a very sticky
>adhesive.  Much used by rock band roadies for fixing mic stands.  Is
>this the same stuff ?

Well, over here anyway Gaffer tape is much more expensive than duct tape.
Though some people don't know the difference, gaffer tape is cloth tape
with extremly powerful adheasive that will stick to most anything.
The wonderful part about it is that when you peal it off it leaves
no gooy residue behind. Duct tape on the other hand is a plastic
tape with some cloth fibers woven in and some horrid sticky adheasive
that when pealed off leave behind a white gummy yuck! I doubt that
even in the UK that the real thing (gaffer tape) is sold for general
use, most likely that stuff is what we yanks call duct tape.
In the U.S. duct tape is just a few cents a roll and can be found at
just about any store, while real gaffer tape is usually only available
from mail order or specialty shops and the last time I bought some
(in multible case quantity) it was $14 / roll.

Louis Poche' - POCHE@music.loyno.edu