Re: sand, etc.

To: Robert Jones <bobj@meaddata.com>
Subject: Re: sand, etc.
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 May 1994 15:44:02 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 11 May 1994, Robert Jones wrote:

> Finally, I picked up a cheapie sandblaster last night.  The
> instructions are very limited (basically one long legal disclaimer).
> What kind of sand can you use with these?  Ordinary sandbox sand or
> something more exotic?  If you can't use regular sand, why not?

Sandbox or building sand is not recommended.  Extensive exposure to dust
from silica sand causes lung disease (silicosis).  Also, it isn't very
practical.  It contains a wide range of particle size, and the larger
pieces will plug up most sandblasters every few minutes.  Use a pulverized
slag product intended for sandblasting, such as "Black Beauty." It is
safer, more uniform in size, and not dreadfully expensive.  Wear a good
dust mask and protective clothing.

Disclaimer:  this is free advice, worth about what you are paying for it.
Proceed at your own risk.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910