$$$ 1980 Spitfire 1500 for Sale: Central Illinois $$$

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: $$$ 1980 Spitfire 1500 for Sale: Central Illinois $$$
From: totty@flute.cs.uiuc.edu (Brian Totty)
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 94 15:38:18 CST
I am a graduate student in Champaign, Illinois, and have a russet brown 1980
Triumph Spitfire 1500 with hardtop that I sadly am forced to sell (sniffle).

I've been trying for seven years to restore this car on a student budget
(imagine that).  Last year, I did a rear suspension rebuild (new leaf spring,
shocks, bushings), brake rebuild (new parking brake cables, new cylinders, new
shoes), clutch rebuild (new pressure plate, disc, throwout bearing), swapped
the transmission (old one had severe dental problems & no reverse), put in an
Allison optical ignition, standard Lucas maintenance (new turn signal switch
(3rd time), bulbs, headlight switch), boiled & pressure checked radiator, 2
new tires, and began prep for body work.

Sadly, a hit & run driver whacked the front of my car (5 mph) & took off.  I
didn't have collision insurance, and while the damage isn't particularly
severe (the front end needs some straightening, there's a small dent in front,
and their is some hood shift, I don't have the money to have it fixed, or the
tools & experience to fix it myself.

I've loved this car for years, and hate to see it go, but I don't see any
alternative, since I am completely out of cash, and bills are mounting.  Guys
named Guido are threatening to break my legs (figuratively).  Is there anyone
in net land who could find a good home for this car.  I'd prefer someone who
wants to fix it up, but if you need it for parts, I'll wince and look the
other way.

I bought the car for $2000, and invested many thousands in it, but given it
has some floor rust, the front end damage mentioned above, and the standard
little problems (e.g. horns dead, wiper motor weak), I understand I'll have to
take a pretty substantial loss.  However, if the price is too low, I guess
I'll just find some way to keep it until I get a real job.  I was thinking
something $1400ish, but will consider all offers.

So, any good homes out there for my car?

   /                       Brian Totty             o o
  /__  __  o     Department of Computer Science     o   "We have corn in
 /  / /   /          1304 W. Springfield Ave       \_/   Massachusetts too!"
/__/ /   /               Urbana, IL 61801
                                                     email: totty@cs.uiuc.edu
Gradual Student             html: http://www-picasso.cs.uiuc.edu/People/totty