Spit stuff, more fire info

To: b-c
Subject: Spit stuff, more fire info
From: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com (Larry E. Snyder lesnyd@monsanto.com 314-694-3626)
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 1994 09:11:37 -0600

Some folks have pointed out to me that I really didn't much go into the details
of my house fire last week. No one was at home, and we don't know for sure how
it started. The entire house (2 full stories, both with 9-foot ceilings, plus a
full attic above that) was completely gone in 30 minutes. It was 93 years old,
made of white oak, and the heat from the fire was unbelievable, I've been told.

It has really made me think. We did NOT have smoke alarms. Had we been at home I
seriously doubt if we all would have made it (we have 4 children). From now on,
I'm going to have plenty of smoke detectors!

Also, I strongly recommend you keep the negatives from your family pictures
somehere besides your home. Also, back up important stuff from your home
computer and store that offsite, too. We, of course, did neither. Obviously, you
can't live every day like you're going to lose it all, but you CAN! Just be sure
to back up the really important stuff.

We also lost a Gibson banjo, a Gibson guitar, a 100-year-old violin, a cello, a
flute, a Peavey electric guitar, and an Ibanez bass guitar, plus amps. I only
had the banjo, guitar and violin insured. We had just acquired the other stuff
in the last year or so, and I hadn't added them to the insurance. At least we've
been able to replace the banjo and violin.

We're living in the apartment above the theater I own in Washington, MO, and
will probably be there a year or so until we rebuild.

So much for that!

I expect to have all three Spits and the parts out in my shed somewhere around
the end of April. I will inventory it all, and would be happy to provide early
Spit parts to list members in need. The Mk.II is badly rusted, I may just part
it out rather than try to restore it.

Also, Phil E., please send me a note with your complete email address (I can't
find it, and all the mail is coming from one place right now...)

Thanks,

Larry