Re: Spitfire Engines

To: jtrindle@ftf03.larc.nasa.gov
Subject: Re: Spitfire Engines
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 1994 00:48:20 -0700
It sounds like you are running into the confusion of 1300 motors.
The Mark 3 Spit has a 1296cc motor that, other than a whole new
head casting, is just a bored out version of the 1147 Mark 1 & 2
motor, with a similar crank, rods and such.  The Mark 4 also
has a 1296 motor, same bore and stroke, but with a different crank
having larger journals, a bigger nose, different rods and such.
This later 1300 shares most dimensions with the 1500 motor, with the
1500 having roughly half an inch longer stroke, but same bore.

Which makes the 1300 a better high revving road race motor, and
the 1500 a better mid- range torque autocross motor, or so I hope to
find out this season.

Other than the front cover seal, all the gaskets should be the same
for both versions of the 1296.  Actually, other than the front seal
all the lower block gaskets are the same for all the Spitfire motors.
Well, there may be some differences in the fuel pump flanges, one
has a peaked top, the other a flatter top.  Now, if I could remember
which was which.

At any rate, when you order parts, there are enough differences between
the early Mark 3 1300 and the later Mark 4 1300 you need to be pretty
specific.

mjb.