Rear End Shudder when backing, Lynch Mob forming

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear End Shudder when backing, Lynch Mob forming
From: "John F. Kolb" <"DLV1::RACERX"@YMV5.YMP.GOV>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 1994 7:09:02 -0800 (PST)
Way back in the dim past when I was foolishly taking automotive engineering
classes in college, and gear dynamics in mechanical engineering, I believe
we were taught that the hypoid cut generally used in automotive differentials
compromises performance when reversed for better performance/cost/packaging
when run forward.  The result is the distinctive whine that many older cars
exhibit in reverse, and a tendency to bind causing cars with compliant
drive-trains/live axles with elliptics to wind up/unload rapidly (shudder).

As for Yamaha carbs on a LBC, the lynch mob will only form if the conversion
is irreversible or the removed parts are destroyed.  You will simply be the
dreaded PO.

John (What am I doing with my degree in Mechanical Engineering and my
Professional Engineering License ? Why, baby-sitting databases on PC's and
mainframes OF COURSE) Kolb, kolbj@ymv5.ymp.gov, Safety Fast !