Re: Puzzler

To: dombey@plato.ds.boeing.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Puzzler
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 94 08:41:26 -0800
In message <9403151551.AA18096@plato.ds.boeing.com> John R Dombey writes:

> Last weekend I adjusted the valves on my '69 TR6, and was dismayed to find a
> good bit of 'mayonaise' in the valve cover (but only on the VC, not on any of
> the rocker train).  I pulled the rocker assembly and verified that the oil
> passages were all clear, and that when the engine is cranked oil comes out of
> the rocker feed hole (although not a _lot_ of oil, I can see why the external
> oil feed is a good idea...) I went ahead and adjusted the valves to spec and
> cleaned the valve cover.  I then did a compression check and got:
>
>    1      2     3     4     5     6   <--- cylinder
>   145    148   145   130   113   142  <--- pressure
>
> with no change wet/dry.  I spaced out and did the check without the throttle
> wide open, but the numbers should at least be representative  of reality.
> The
> engine has very little blow-by, and the crankcase ventilation is working as
> it should.  It doesn't seem to lose water and there is no evidence of water
> in
> the oil (on the dipstick - I haven't drained the pan yet), and the plugs all
> looked the same - with light brown deposits (in fact, I don't know that I've
> ever seen a full set of plugs wear so evenly before!).  Given all that, why
> the mayonaise?  I had a toyota once that developed it, but it had a _lot_ of
> blow-by.  Should I be as concerned as I am?  All thoughts and replies welcome
> - I appeal to the font of net.lbc.wisdom!
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> John

The top of the valve cover is the coolest part of the engine when it is running.
If you have some water vapor in your crank case, I would expect it to condense
first at the top of the valve cover.  If you have removed the SMOG stuff and
have pre SMOG crank case and/or valve cover breathers, and it has been humid in
your area then don't worry about it, else you may have a minor leak in the
cylinder heead gasket or minor crack in the head.  Maybe on the edge of the #5
cylinder.  It might be good therapy for you to retorque the head.  But you
should keep a close eye on the oil.

Another fun thing to do is top off your radiator and with the cap off, run the
engine.  When the thermostat opens and you can see water circulating look for
bubbles. If you have those its time to think about pulling the head.

I'm concerned about #4 & 5 cylinders.  They are a bit low.  I suspect you are
due for a valve job anyway.  Dont forget to have hardened seats put in and to
have the shop check the head for cracks and straighness of the mating surface.

TeriAnn Wakeman             One of these days, I'll be old enough that
twakeman@apple.com          people will stop calling me crazy and start
LINK: TWAKEMAN              calling me eccentric.
408-974-2344        TR3A - TS75519L, MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, 109 - 164000561