Puzzler

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Puzzler
From: dombey@plato.ds.boeing.com (John R Dombey)
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 94 07:51:32 PST
Last weekend I adjusted the valves on my '69 TR6, and was dismayed to find a
good bit of 'mayonaise' in the valve cover (but only on the VC, not on any of
the rocker train).  I pulled the rocker assembly and verified that the oil
passages were all clear, and that when the engine is cranked oil comes out of
the rocker feed hole (although not a _lot_ of oil, I can see why the external
oil feed is a good idea...) I went ahead and adjusted the valves to spec and
cleaned the valve cover.  I then did a compression check and got:

   1      2     3     4     5     6   <--- cylinder
  145    148   145   130   113   142  <--- pressure

with no change wet/dry.  I spaced out and did the check without the throttle
wide open, but the numbers should at least be representative  of reality.  The
engine has very little blow-by, and the crankcase ventilation is working as
it should.  It doesn't seem to lose water and there is no evidence of water in
the oil (on the dipstick - I haven't drained the pan yet), and the plugs all
looked the same - with light brown deposits (in fact, I don't know that I've
ever seen a full set of plugs wear so evenly before!).  Given all that, why
the mayonaise?  I had a toyota once that developed it, but it had a _lot_ of
blow-by.  Should I be as concerned as I am?  All thoughts and replies welcome
- I appeal to the font of net.lbc.wisdom!

Thanks in advance,

John

P.S.  On the brighter side of things, the TR8 comes out of its winter rest in
      2 weeks, and the Jaguar has been performing flawlessly since we got it
      last July.  Life is good