Re: DRIVING LESSON TIME....EEEEEEEEK!

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: DRIVING LESSON TIME....EEEEEEEEK!
From: wbrown@csg.lbl.gov (Bill Brown)
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 94 11:36:44 PST
When teachinng my teen-age daughters (for political reasons) how to drive
"7T6 MGB" , I use(d) the following technique:

(each already has a 'drivers ticket.'  Not to be confused with "traffic ticket')

1) I drive, show how to give it gas while releasing the clutch (the tach is
a big help here!).

2) She gets in drivers' seat, shows me that she knows where the gears are.

3) I get out and go hide somewhere. while she learns to get it right.
They stay on our dead-end street, until they have built up confidence.

It has worked/is working surprisingly well.  Neither wants to bend
"Daddys Hoopty" or "Daddys Toy" (as they call it).  I don't want to grow an
ulcer.  I trust them with the car, or I wouldn't be allowing them to drive
_ANYTHING_.  There's no point in my being there to make them nervous and
myself upset/angry/whatever.

Disclaimer:  These opinions are my own and have     |
    nothing to do with the official policy or the   |  -bill
    management of L.B.L, who probably couldn't      |   wlbrown@lbl.gov
    care less about employees who play with trains. |