Re: MGB Top Support screws, etc.

To: RTIK207@orange.cc.utexas.edu
Subject: Re: MGB Top Support screws, etc.
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 1994 10:34:34 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 8 Mar 1994 RTIK207@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu wrote:

> Now the trick I had to deal with in restoration....How To Fix These Darn
> Welded Nuts....YUK>>>
>
> Then take offthe trim triangles....and find some new 1/4 x 24 (is 24 correct)

Not 1/4x24.  The choices are 1/4-20 NC and 1/4-28 NF, probably the latter.

> I got some large fender washers..1.5" with small center holes, smaller than
> the nut...and found a willing and LBC Friendly welder to spot weld the darn
> nuts to the fender washers......I Know Bloody Crazy...BUT.....
>
> YUKKKK....this took days before the brainstorm on how to do this hit me
> and fully one whole day to execute it after finding my welder shop guy
> and the faith....But...its over now and it works.....

> Isn't restoration FUN>>!
>
> TTFN
> Jim Fink

That's pretty much the solution I came up with for long-lost captive nuts
on my bugeye.  But if you have a mig welder, the solution can be a bit
simpler.  Buy the fender washers as above, wirebrush or sand off
galvanizing, enlarge the hole to the clearance size of the bolt, then put
a bolt through the hole into the nut and tighten the nut up against the
fender washer.  With the mig welder, weld the nut to the washer in two or
three places.  Remove the bolt.

Now you have two options.  If the added thickness won't interfere with
anything and beauty doesn't matter, just position the nut-washer assembly
over the original hole, and mig weld around the edge of the fender washer.

If you are fussy, or if appearance or clearance is critical, position the
assembly over the original hole, scribe around the fender washer, and very
carefully enlarge the hole to the scribed line.  Install a long bolt part
way into the nut to serve as a handle, and hold the washer in the hole
while you tack it in place with the mig.  Then finish mig welding around
the washer, grind the surface flat, and swork on.

I had to do this on two of the mounting nuts for the steering rack; some
ham handed PO had not only torn out the nuts, but ripped out a fair part
of the surrounding metal as well.  You better believe the welds holding these
captive nuts onto the frame are two of the most careful welds I have ever
done.

Ray Gibbons