removing front hub grease caps

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: removing front hub grease caps
From: sands@kaleida.com (Michael Sands)
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 94 09:51:29 PST
I had problems with the Seven's (Triumph's) as well.  The cap is embedded
deeply into the hub and required extensive weaseling back and forth to
remove.  (Weasel word: a word used in order to evade or retreat from a
direct or forthright statement or position, obviously of British
derivation)

I brazed a nut of known thread to the cap, over the existing hole.  Now I
just thread my remover tool into the cap until it bottoms out on the axle
stub, thus pushing the cap off.  Be careful not to weld as the excessive
heat has a tendency to melt the cap itself.

Michael

Michael Sands                                   Kaleida Labs
(415) 966-0711                                  sands@kaleida.com