Re: CA Vanity Plates?

To: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Subject: Re: CA Vanity Plates?
From: Marty Udisches <martyu@twg.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 1994 14:56:20 -0800
Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com> writes, regarding vanity plates:

>I assume that all that is required is to fill out a form or
>two at the DMV and pay some extra fees.  Is there anything else
>involved?  For example, would these plates be considered new issue
>requiring a smog certificate?

I got vanity plates for a car a few years ago ('89).
The procedure was much as you describe.  Not much else
was involved at the time.  You pay an up-front fee for
the plates, and then an additional line item each year
on your registration renewal.

I believe smog was (and still is) tied to your registration,
not your license plates.  Since there's no transfer of
ownership, etc., there's no change to smog status.

>Is there any chance that a new value assessment would be required for
>license fee purposes?  Right now as far as the California DMV is
>concerned I own a 30 year old car which is assumed to have little or no
>value.  This means I pay the minimum fee each year and I don't want to
>make any waves in this regard.

Again, you'd pay a little more each year for the vanity
plates (around $20, I believe.)  IMHO, the state doesn't
want to make waves, either.  They're just looking for a
cheap way to increase revenue and keep more jailers
employed stamping out plates.  Value assessments, I would
think, would unnecessarily complicate the process.  Besides,
value assessments are only handled when ownership status
changes.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

>Roland

Marty