Re: POR-15

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: POR-15
From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 1994 18:50:49 -0500
++>
++> On Mon, 7 Feb 1994, Jody Levine wrote:
++>
++> > Has anyone else had experience with POR-15? Does anyone know what this
++> > stuff is? Is it epoxy paint, perhaps with additives, or something complet
ely
++> > different? Is there a cheaper, generic version of the stuff?
++> >
++> > Jody Levine - jlevine@rd.hydro.on.ca - Toronto - '79 mobile doorstop ragt

        I used it to paint the frame and suspension components of my Spit/GT6
project.  I am very pleased with the results.  I have had very good adhesion,
but all my parts were sand or bead blasted and dipped in phosphoric (sp?)
acid.  I dusted in a coat of primer when the POR 15 was tacky and then painted
everything with gloss black.  I've been told the POR 15 breaks down under UV
exposure. (although I found that out after I did the frame, painting over it
was just lucky)  Having let the frame sit out in the elements for a half year,
it appears that it does what it is supposed to do - stop rust and keep it from
spreading.  I have wire brushed, ground, hammered and otherwise abused the
painted frame while straightening the hinge mounts and the POR 15 survived
well.
        I have noticed that the POR 15 will come off of a smooth plastic
surface pretty easily.  I usually pour it into a plastic cup when painting
and I have been able to pull the dried POR 15 out in one piece.

--
William woodruff        woodruff@caen.engin.umich.edu