DIY MGB Rostyle Wheels

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: DIY MGB Rostyle Wheels
From: wade@ops.tridom.com (Wade Massengil)
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 94 11:03:40 EST
Greasings and Lubrications, All...

        Paul Hemson inquired about a high dollar face-lift for his rostyle
wheels.

        I don't mean to poor-mouth (a southern-ism for whining about how
much money you ain't got) but I had little choice but do mine myself. Along
with everything else. But they turned out really nice and with the money I
saved I rewarded myself with a set of trim rings.

        From somewhere my Brother obtained a really cheap sandblaster. I
think it was about $15 total, new. It has a garden hose looking nozzle and
a plastic jug the sand (ordinary playground sand) goes into. It works like
a paint sprayer. We cram 100psi air into it and it really goes through the
sand!

        Anyway, I sandblasted mine myself, in the backyard, primed them and
painted them black. I then used ordinary masking tape and Xacto knife to
mask them. The official rumor around the club is those plasic masks in the
catalogs work poorly. The Moss Silver paint looks exactly right, all-be-it
pricey. I took the can to a pro auto paint shop to be sure my primer, black
and clear coat were all compatable. Between coats the wheels baked on the
driveway in the Hot Georgia Sun.

        Total investment, including 50 pounds of sand, about $23.00. The one
can of Moss silver did all five wheels, but the inside half and the part
covered by the tire were left black, because black paint is cheap!!

        Now, I suspect I'll need to paint them again at some point...but by
that time I will have saved enough money to get a set of MINILITES!

        Wade

        Daisy, the yellow B, inches her way to completion.
        Just might make it to Chateu Elan!