Re: help!

To: rkg@etecnw.com (Richard George x 7247) (Richard George x 7247)
Subject: Re: help!
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 94 11:11:52 PST
> Has anyone out there had any experience with these things?  I seem to have
> to use a substantial amount of force on them to get them to tighten at all
> (using the big screwdriver on the clamp and pulling REAL hard on the end
> trick), and I have a couple that I can't budge - I must be doing something
> wrong, or is it just simply that a large % of these things are defective?

Richard,

I've forgotten your location; do you have an Auto Parts Club in your
area?  You might want to try the stainless steel CV boot straps they
sell.  I installed a set on one of the snake's steering rack gaiters.  I
didn't get it as tight as I would like too have, but that was because of
limited access; you may not have the same problem.  Anyway, these are
1/4" wide stainless steel straps, long enough to fit around any boot
I've ever come across.  The kit comes with a little hex headed
tightening tool that slips over the strap and allows you to curl it up
(sorta like on a sardine tin) with a ratchet.  The straps have a little
"belt" loops that the straps bend over and are secured to once they're
tight.  The excess is then cut off.  The kits cost ~$5 each and contain
5 straps and the tool.

Roland