Re: Tri-Sodium Phosphate (TSP)

To: flarsen@uclink.berkeley.edu (Flemming Larsen) (Flemming Larsen)
Subject: Re: Tri-Sodium Phosphate (TSP)
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 94 10:56:26 PST
> Roland Dudley suggested:
>
> > What works even better is trisodium phosphate (TSP).  Not only will it
> > remove every speck of grease but paint as well.
>
> I have used TSP for cleaning parts, with great success, as well. I think
> there is a warning on the label about not using it on aluminum parts.
> Better check the label before using it on that Lucas distributor and/or
> snake body.

Good point.  Any alkaline substance can be a problem with aluminum
because it breaks down the protective oxide coating.  TSP is fairly mild
so I suspect it would be okay for castings if the exposure time was
short.  I've used alkaline paint strippers on the body of the snake
without noticeable damage.  I believe carburetor cleaning solvents are
highly alkaline too.  Still, it might be worth neutralizing a freshly
cleaned aluminum part with a weak acid solution afterwards.

A Drano solution works even better than TSP, but I would NEVER clean an
aluminum part in it.

Roland