Re: "vintage" radios

To: POCHE@music.loyno.edu
Subject: Re: "vintage" radios
From: jerry@tr2.com
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 1994 18:51:52 +0000 (GMT)

> SendMail TO(BritCars) Subj("vintage" radios) File(JAN23941.oma)
> BlackTiger Mailer - Msg Created 01-23-1994 .. 15:07:28
>
> >The '63 originally was (+) ground.  I will likely convert it to (-) ground
> >so that shouldn't be considered a limitation.  The jag is (-) ground to
> >begin with.  The B will not be sterophonic (one speaker on top of the
> >transmission tunnel).  The jag will be sterophonic (well, it has two
> >speakers but that doesn't mean concert hall surround sound in this car).
> >
> >Any advice or info on likely sources would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> Radio Shack "Used to" sell , I don't know if they still do, a little box to
> convert positive to negative ground for the radio.   I shouldn't be that
> hard to build one if they dont still make it.

*** I've got one of those.  It came with my MGA.  Never worked too well.
And such things are not that easy to build.  Essentially, it involves
building a switching power supply, either using a transformer and an
oscillator, or an oscillator and capacitor-diode tricks.

I wound up converting the car to negative ground, which was really easy.
I switched the battery terminals, switched the coil primary terminals,
and repolarized the generator.  It might be harder with a later car
if it had, say, a solid-state tachometer.

  I saw a vintage-style radio in a recent JC Whitney catalog.

                                    - Jerry

--
* Jerry Kaidor       jerry@tr2.com, jkaidor@synoptics.com     *
*                    KF6VB                                    *