Re: LBC Mods vs. Calif. Emmissions.

To: key@cs.utk.edu, british-cars@autox.team.net, key@cs.utk.edu
Subject: Re: LBC Mods vs. Calif. Emmissions.
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 94 09:08:45 -0800
In message <9401171636.AA20662@case.cs.utk.edu> Ken Key writes:
> Greetings,
>   I'm considering a move to the left coast (Santa Cruz area)

Its always nice to have an SOL neighbor

> concerned about bringing my LBC into the state.  It's a '73 TR-6 that I
> bought "restored" and then promptly had to rebuild the engine and trany
> (clutch is next).  When I bought the car, it was sans EGR.  I suspect
> I'll have to replace that.

They will do a visual inspection to make sure all the SMOG stuff is there AND
connected.

 During the re-build, my engine builder put
> in a mildly racy cam (Iskenderian Z-19 - It's grind seemed similar to
> the street/mild race in the TR-6 performance handbook) and headers
> (cracked manifold), as well as electric fan, oil cooler, etc.
> (fighting a temp. problem).

I have not yet been able to get my BGT with a mild cam to pass SMOG.  I think
the headers will cause problems only if the car has a catylitic converter.  If
you have all the SMOG stuff attached and pass SMOG levels I think you will be OK
but I'm not an expert, just a victim of the SMOG regs and a previous owner of
the engine.

> Thanks for any info,
> Ken Key  (key@cs.utk.edu)
> PS Do calif. vanity plates allow 8 letters?  I'm thinking of MONEYPIT :-)

7 letters &/or numbers  Monypit is probably already taken

On the positive side, temperatures along the coast in Santa Cruz this last
weekend were in the high sixties and low seventies.

Take care & hunt down SMOG equipment

TeriAnn

TeriAnn Wakeman             One of these days, I'll be old enough that
twakeman@apple.com          people will stop calling me crazy and start
LINK: TWAKEMAN              calling me eccentric.
408-974-2344        TR3A - TS75519L, MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, 109 - 164000561