tools (was: the African Queen)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: tools (was: the African Queen)
From: timd@ptltd.com (Tim Dziechowski)
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 93 16:26:15 EST
Got a query about my electric impact wrench and thought other Sol'ers
might be interested in the specs.

I have the DeWalt model DW290 1/2" reversing impact wrench.  Home Depot
sells them.  Consumes 7.5 amps and claims to develop 250 ft/lb of torque.
Can't vouch for the upper limit, but I did use it to remove a crank pulley
nut spec'ed at 150 ft/lb.  I preheated the nut a few times with acetylene
to persuade it, and it came right off with the wrench.  Wish getting access
to the nut had been that easy.  An air impact wrench capable of 250 ft/lb
would need at least a 3-5 HP compressor, and there aren't enough electrons
in my garage for that.

The African Queen is retired, replaced by the Campbell-Hausfeld model WL504100
1.5 HP compressor (also Home Depot: 13.0 amps, 5.6 cfm@40psi, 4.4 cfm@90psi).
This runs fine on my 15 amp garage circuit (I can even turn on the lights!),
and is just powerful enough for light impact work (~75 ft/lb) and spraying.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a pressure washer?  Are the syphon
setups that you use with a compressor and a dip tube into a tank capable of
cutting the Castrol, or is a dedicated tool (maybe with steam?) the way to go?

Heat is finally going into the garage this weekend, and then I'll be all
set to rebuild the original engine I pulled out of the Midget last spring.

timd@ptltd.com  (Tim Dziechowski - Phoenix Technologies - Cambridge, Mass)
"...please Santa, bring tools, not ties..."