RE: Oxygenated gas

To: Dean_Zywicki%NIHDCRT.BITNET@CU.NIH.GOV, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Oxygenated gas
From: DANIELS@LMSBV2.TAMU.EDU (Lee Daniels, Texas A&M University)
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1993 14:02:34 -0600 (CST)
Dean says:
>   So my theory is that with the oxygenated gas, the added oxygen
>displaces a certain amount of volume in the gas.  [...]

No, the "oxygen" in this case is just in the form of additives, i.e.
liquid compounds which contain oxygen atoms; in this case they are ethers.
The idea is to introduce additional oxygen atoms in a form that will
provide more complete oxidation of the hydrocarbons without the formation
of the undesireable NOx's.  It should be no more of a change than adding
STP gas treatment to your tank.  There have been reports, however, which
have implicated the additives to poorer performance with certain engine
configurations.

I believe that the standard "oxygenated" additive is methyl-tert-butyl-
ether, i.e. MTBE, which certain members of the population have associated
with the rise in health problems after such gas was introduced in their
areas.  (BTW, I've looked at the preliminary epidemiological studies of
this, and I think that the association of the described health problems
with MTBE are baloney.)

Lee M. Daniels              Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding
daniels@lmsbvx.tamu.edu     Texas A&M University      (409) 845-3726