Title and registration puzzler

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Title and registration puzzler
From: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil (Marcus Tooze)
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 93 13:54:56 CST
Concerning the $100 Spitfire:

All I have mangaed to get in the way of a title is a photocopy of a title
which is for another Spitfire VIN!! I called the guy who is on the title (lives
in Mass.) and he was quite scared of me until I assured him I wasn't the police
or a lawyer (??!!??). I just wanted some general info concerning the car...
and he said he owned a couple of them...thats about all he told me.

So at the mo., I have a Spit and the wrong photocopy of a title....hmmmm.
I just called a title  andf license place and they said I must have the
correct actual title to register the car. Now, there MUST be a way around
this...does anybody know any little tricks???

One thing I have thought have doing (all IL transport officials cover your
ears!) is going to a scrap yard, finding a junked 76 spit, buy the body
with title for a measly few bucks, pry off the body ident plate and rivet
it onto my nice spit body!! Bingo...spit with matching body number and title!!

Does anybody else have any suggestions???? The licencse people said that i would
need to find out who last registered the car and ask them to apply for a new
title and give it to me. It probably was the guy in Mass., but its possible
it wasn't because the photocopy title isn't for the spit
i have now!!

Any suggestions???????

Marcus 'catch 22' Tooze