Re: DGV's, Manifolds, and stuff (was Spitfire 1500...)

To: mjb@triumph
Subject: Re: DGV's, Manifolds, and stuff (was Spitfire 1500...)
From: steveb@msd.measurex.com (Steve Beck)
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 93 17:33:06 EDT

> Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1993 22:32:51 -0500 (EST)
> From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.wyvern.com>
> Subject: RE: Spitfire 1500 and carbs

Much stuff deleted...

> I didnt say that. I said that due to the poor jetting as supplied, and the
> cheap, badly designed manifolds included, the DGV conversion kits are not all
> that hot. There is nothing wrong with the basic DGV, just as there is nothing
> ... My observations, which I have stated here several times, is
> the DGVs are finicky cold, bog, and, with the poorest manifolds, flood when
> turning. And it could all be cured with a little jetting, and a properly
> designed manifold.
>
>   Randy
>    randy@taylor.wyvern.com

My question is:
Do all your statements pertain to the 1500, or to DGV's in general? I agree
with most of what you say since I have a '77 MGB with a DGV conversion and I
am experiencing flooding when turning, some bogging, and it is sometimes
finicky.

I did not convert mine with the hopes of a high horsepower increase (after all,
what can you expect from an engine which develops 62 bhp in stock form) but for
better drivability , and especially since my ZS was totally shot.

Can you expand (again perhaps) on a cure?

Steve
steveb@msd.measurex.com