Rollbar, Brakes,...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (British Cars)
Subject: Rollbar, Brakes,...
From: Jim Brannan <jbrannan@hprpcd.rose.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 93 13:04:02 PST
Howdy net,

(apologies if this was sent twice - sys crashed in middle...)

Well, I made good progress over the weekend on my engine rebuild, but I
did not get it running.  First, I forgot the lifters at the machine
shop, and after a quick return trip, late Saturday night I realized they
have the push rods still!  So, it was a slow tinkering Sunday and such
to install other external parts.  All has gone well, but I think the
idiot that wrote the instructions in the Haynes manual for static timing
should never be allowed to write again!  It just sees a few words are
missing.  Now I wish I had the shop manual (next order).  In fact, the
instruction in Haynes disagree with the instructions in a Clymer repair
book my parents found used and gave me.  One analysis after another, I
think It've go it (but I'll find out Friday when I fire it up).  I just
checked with the local British Car Service folks and they agree the
instructions in the Haynes book are wrong/poorly worded.

Questions:
-----------
1. Anyone either got a rollbar for a TR4A or know of a good source for a
good quality, but low price rollbar?  (I've got MOSS and TRF prices)

2. My front brake rotors look poor with lots of grooves. Where is the spec
as to just how thin the rotor can be before it can't be resurfaced?  I
was shocked to see that the Haynes book spec'd the max amount that can
be removed, but what good is that spec if I don't know what they were
originally!

Jim Brannan                                             (1966 Red TR4A)
Rocklin, CA
wk: 916-785-4776,  hm: 916-624-9318,  email jbrannan@hprpcd.rose.hp.com