Re: Pistons, and general engine question (Spit 1500)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pistons, and general engine question (Spit 1500)
From: mjb@triumph (Mark J Bradakis)
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 93 15:35:54 -0700
The '76 Spit and various UK models with the 9 to 1 compression use flat
pistons, the 7.5 models use dished, as you suspected.  The MG Midget 1500
uses the same motor and gearbox, but a solid axle in the rear.

As for fuel injection, the plumbing should be too bad, you could get a
dual Weber manifold and a pair of throttle bodies that will bolt on, along
with all the other fuel supply bits, a throttle position sensor, airflow
sensor and such off the shelf, but not in a complete kit.  The Fat Chance
Garage may have to do something about that, but finances won't allow it until
next summer at the earliest.  Then you could either buy a control unit like
the Haltech, or build your own.  Performance Engineering magazine is running
a story on doing just this.  I think you can email to perform@dixie.com for
a sample issue.

Another approach is to find some car in a junkyard with a similarly sized
motor with fuel injection, and adapt those electronis to the Spit.  My wife
gets a little nervous whenever I open the hood of her Civic Si and stare
at the fuel system.  Someday soon.

mjb.