Re: Re: engine balancing

To: radsickt@lablink.ple.af.mil
Subject: Re: Re: engine balancing
From: megatest!bldg2fs1!sfisher@uu2.psi.com (Scott Fisher)
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 93 17:10:42 PST
> TeriAnn writes:
>
> >What they do (asumming they have dynamic balance equipment):
> >They weigh the rod piston assemblies and take metal off three untill all four
> >weigh exactly the same.
>
> I would have to differ with you on this small point.  Though perhaps things
> are different with LBC's, on the LG(erman)C engines I have rebuilt the
> pistons are all weighed with the piston pins installed.  All pistons are
> then lightened to match the lightest one.  Rods are end balanced: the big
> end is set on a fulcrum and the small end is set on a scale.  Again, all
> the small ends are lightened to match the lightest small end.  Repeat with
> the small end on the fulcrum and the big end on the weight.  After that,
> the procedure is as you described.

The procedure that you describe is called "end-for-end" balancing, and it's
a preferred and only slightly more expensive procedure.  Good shops (i.e.,
any racing shop) will more or less automatically do this; you might, Teri
Ann, want to make sure that this is being done, as it ensures not only an
even distribution of weight across the crank, but across the con rod as
well.

> Tim "Clueless about this front-engine, water-cooled stuff" Radsick

Well, the biggest difference is that you have to put the con rods and
pistons into the block one at a time -- you don't bolt them to the
crank and then screw the two halves of the block together... :-)

> P.S. :  Scott, what exactly is this book about?

Which book?  The Lindsay Porter book or the one I alluded to as a
possible source of car-purchasing power? :-)

Assuming (in my ordinary modest way) that it's the latter, I suppose I
might as well pass on the information to this list.  I've finished The
Book: "Multimedia Authoring: Building and Developing Documents," a guide
to the intellectual and organizational concerns (as opposed to a technical
user's manual for a specific product) for putting together interactive
multimedia documents.  To be published by Academic Press next May.  (It
has an ISBN number and everything...)  The book is in production now,
meaning that the copy editors are checking everything; they'll get it
back to me, when I'll have the chance to do my own changes to it and
retouch anything I think needs it.  I'm also doing the on-line examples
that go with the book.  Fun stuff.  It should surprise no one that the
recurring example I've selected as an interactive reference document
is a guide to the maintenance and restoration of the MGB... :-)

--Scott "Hey, I oughta sell the Hypercard stack when it's done!" Fisher