Re: Re: fisher roman empire

To: twakeman@apple.com
Subject: Re: Re: fisher roman empire
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 93 10:48:29 pst
> Date: Wed, 3 Nov 93 10:17:25 -0800
> From: "TeriAnn Wakeman"  <twakeman@apple.com>
> To: DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM, british-cars@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: fisher roman empire
>

> > The reason I'm responding is because of an ad in British Cars
> > magazine.  They're looking for technical writer/contributing
> > editor types.  Wish you'd consider it; the mag is fun but
> > shallow, and you'd cure that in an instant.

> Dan,
>
> You are making the assumption that the Magazine will pay him for his work.  I
> purchased a two year subscription, got 3 issues and they stopped coming.  I
> called & the person at the Mag said they would make sure I got my magazines &
> provide the back issues I missed.  Still nothing.  A second call got me
>nothing.
> No magazines, no refund.  I gave up on them as a badly run company that might
>be
> on financially shakey grounds.  That was about two years ago

I just received the December issue, but I think you're correct about
their shakey finances.  I've had that feeling since my first issue a
couple of years ago.

However, I had a similar experience with Road & Track in the '60s;
except mine was a for 3 subscription.  Since I didn't think the magazine
was in any financial difficulties at the time I took this as a lesson
about magazine subscriptions in general:  only subscribe on a
year-to-year basis.  You get better service by not being locked in.

BRITISH CAR has another annoying habit which they apparently picked up
form other more mainstream publications, and that's sending out renewal
notices at random times, usually months before the old one has expired.
These notices always imply that you're on your last month or two.  I'm
getting tired of thumbing through my check book to see just when my
subscription is really about to expire.

Roland