Oil frothing.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil frothing.
From: toms@tommy.sharebase.com (Tom Sabo)
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 93 11:01:59 PST
>     - The worst problem is that you might slosh up your existing oil
>       and maybe exert some additional parasitic drag on your crank,
>       in exchange for not having a rough copper bearing in your con rod
>
>Don't know beans about MGB's specifically. There is a general way to
>lose with an overfilled engine, which is that the crank beats the oil
>into a froth, and you blow your bearings out because you are trying to
>lubricate them with bubbles.

Yes and no.
IF you have an engine with an oil drain-back problem, adding oil will
not cause oil frothing because most of the oil is in the rocker covers,
not in the oil pan.  Overfilling an engine that DOES drain back correctly
will cause at least some crank drag.  At worst, oil frothing and subsequent
bearing failure.  Given that the Bs have a design deficiency in this area,
I would add extra oil.  Probably 1/2 quart over for normal driving.  Maybe
a quart over for fast motoring.