Fluctuating oil gauge!

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Fluctuating oil gauge!
From: toms@tommy.sharebase.com (Tom Sabo)
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 93 10:06:33 PST
>I have noticed my '77 B's oil pressure gauge will fluctuate
>sometimes at high speeds...

Yes... Big Daddy knows what he is talking about, and your gauge
is revealing it.  I don't know about Bs in particular, but what
a fluctuating gauge at constant high rpms indicates is that air
is getting sucked into the oil pump.  This can be caused by low
oil level at rest OR by the oil not returning fast enough to
the pan.  What happens is that the rocker covers end up with
all the oil in them, instead of in the pan, where the oil pump
needs it.  If you notice it, cut your RPM immediately and pop
another quart in the engine.  2 quars sounds excessive except
for continual high-rpm running.  I dunno if there is anything
that can be done to a B to help oil drain back quicker.

NOTE: a high-volume oil pump will add to the problem.  Also,
more oil in the rocker covers means that more oil will probably
get sucked in past the valve guides.   In a worn engine this
will show up as blue smoke plus maybe fouled plugs, etc.
Isn't neat how everything is interrelated?  :-)