SOL visitor and Europa progress

To: lotus-cars%netcom.com@uunet.uu.net
Subject: SOL visitor and Europa progress
From: phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1993 16:37:20 -0500 (CDT)
Vacation again Wednesday and Thursday.  Took Sue to work Wednesday morning
so I could have the Mighty K-wagon, went out to Lake Elmo to get the
trick plywood inserts so I can put bolts into the dash to hold on the
steering column bracket without going through the Koa.  Drilled the 9-ply
and installed them.

On Wednesday afternoon, Steve Valin arrived.  He and Kelly are taking six
weeks to drive around the USA.  They left the Europa and the rest back in
California, though, and rented a Taurus for the trip.  We schmoozed about
my project for a bit, took a quick tour of my part of Saint Paul and
picked Sue up at work.  Steve was amused by the Mighty K-wagon.  It may
join Foocar in the net hall of fame.  Then spaghetti courtesy of
Elizabeth, my 15-year-old, and a trip to a Twin Cities landmark.

No, not the new history center or the Capitol dome.  The Science museum is
probably not that different from the one in San Francisco.  We ventured
out of Saint Paul to Bloomington to see the megamall.  For those of you
far enough away to escape the hype we have around here, the Mall of
America is the largest mall in the world, now surpassing the one in
Honolulu (sorry, Adam), and ours is of course completely enclosed.  Since
the shopping mall was invented in Minnesota (like water skiing and
Rollerblades) it seems only fitting that we have the biggest.  Complete
with rides at Knott's Camp Snoopy.  Where else can you ride a roller
coaster when it is -20 degrees F.?  Elizabeth bought some tights that look
like fruit salad.

Steve made a phone connection with a Matra owner in Vermont, so they will
add that area to their itinerary.  Thursday morning, we sent them off to
cross the wilds of northern Wisconsin to the U. P., promising them one
good sports car drive up the Saint Croix before leaving Minnesota.  I told
them they would wish the had the Lotus.  Of course, they also have more
luggage...  Nice Folks.  Too bad we are unlikely to make it out their way.

Thursday I managed to get the radiator in and its hoses connected and
install the front closing plate.  Now I don't have to be quite so
persnickety about leaning on the nose.

Then I took the big step.  I entered the wonderfull world of fiberglass
for the first time.  I had to repair the crack in the cockpit where the
footbox floor meets the tunnel.  I should have had someone film it for a
bloopers show.  The result looks very good for the laughable skill of the
operator.  Time will tell.  I cleaned up and got Sue at work, and we got
the dashboard pieces over to my former neighbor's cabinet shop so he can
glue the Koa wood to the 9-ply Baltic Birch.  After supper I hit the glass
fiber trail again.  The small crack inside the front of the front deck
opening came out well.  The outside of the cockpit crack under the car was
another clumsiness seminar.

Today the voltmeter arrived from Bean.  Black rim instead of chrome.
Damn.  Gonna use it anyway.  The instrument guy called to say the tach is
ready.  I can get over there next Tuesday.

This is going to be close, but I think I can take off to Wheels and Wings
tomorrow and still get the car ready for the 26th.  I have tried to get to
the car and plane show for it's Britcar content for four years now.  It is
sponsored by Classic Motorbooks, which is quite a presence in its small
Wisconsin border town.

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans St, Saint Paul, MN  55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105  w (612) 298-5324    phile@stpaul.gov
"There is nothing like a complete money-is-no-object restoration.
And this is going to be nothing like one."  - Phil Ethier