Silicone Brake Fluid

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Silicone Brake Fluid
From: jerry@tr2.com
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1993 08:42:49 +0000 (GMT)
mburdick@unmc.edu (Mike Burdick):
In this month's Skinned Knuckles (Sept 1993, vol 18, no 2), there is an
article about silicone brake fluid.
       [ Deleted article about Silicone Brake Fluid ]

*** Just a data point:

   I run DOT5 brake fluid in both my TR2 and MGA, and it works
fine.  The TR especially has awesome brakes, with TR3 disks
in front, and TR4 stuff in the back. On both cars, the
hydraulics have been totally rebuilt, and the system filled
with DOT5.

  My main reason for going with this expensive liquid is not
the corrosion or high-temperature benefits; its _paint_.
Specifically, silicone brake fluid doesn't eat it.  Especially
with the TR, I've never been able to make all that firewall
stuff totally fluid-tight.  So there is seepage over a period
of months.  Which used to strip the paint off the engine
compartment :-(.
                               - Jerry
--
* Jerry Kaidor       jerry@tr2.com, jkaidor@synoptics.com     *
*                    KF6VB                                    *