Re: mgb differential noise

To: uunet!hoosier.utah.edu!british-cars@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: Re: mgb differential noise
From: Ron Peterson <vicorp!ron@uunet.UU.NET>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 93 17:28:35 EDT
>  The next problem involves a low frequency humming coming from
>the differential (RUM-RUM-RUM) audible only when the top is up. It sounds
>like the ring/pinon gears aren't meshing properly but many people have
>told me to just turn up the radio and not worry. Any help on this topic
>is greatly appreciated.

I've noticed similar sounds from the differential in my '77 MGB.  I
worried a lot about it for a year, worried a little less for the next
year and ignored it for the next three years.  It's still running fine
although it's annoying.  I found that a heavy blanket laid across the
deck area that the top folds down into helps a lot (and the blanket can
be useful for impromptu picnics as well!)  I think that putting one of
those plastic battery holders in would help reduce the sound further
by preventing road and diff noise from coming in through the battery
compartment.
     Ron
ron@vicorp.com or uunet!vicorp!ron