Re: Bummer MGB clutch

To: atf@scammell.ecos.tne.oz.au
Subject: Re: Bummer MGB clutch
From: mburdick@unmc.edu (Mike Burdick)
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 93 13:19:32 CDT
   > The question really is: Would an aftermarket clutch thrust bearing have a
   > different height than the original?
   > The one in the car (at a guess) was purchased in USofA, and appears to
have
   > a plastic coating. This does not seem to me to be what the original MGs
would
   > have had.
   >
   > Can anyone throw any light on the subject?
   > I look forward to whatever pearls of wisdom are forthcoming,

I don't know if this qualifies as a pearl, but I'll tell you what I know
about clutches (all gleaned from working with Triumphs....):

Basically, if you are replacing clutch components with parts purchased
from different places (or even the same place at different times), you
may run into compatibility problems.  Your best bet when doing a clutch
replacement is to buy the parts (pressure plate, clutch disk, throw-out
bearing) as a kit and install them all at once.

An example of how much variation there can be: a friend of mine was
having clutch problems on his TR-6.  He bought replacement parts from a
number of different vendors at a British meet.  He put the new parts in and
his clutch would not disengage at all.  He pulled them out and compared them
to the parts he had replaced and found that there were big difference between
them.  For instance, the faces of the throw-out bearings were different shapes
and the springs in the pressure plates differed in height by about 3/8".

He bought a kit from a local supply house and found that these parts differed
from the 2 sets he already had.  On installation though, the parts purchased
as a kit seemed to fit together fine and his clutch worked great.

Good luck,
Mike
mburdick@unmc.edu