RE: MGB roadster vs. convert

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, bryan@elara.MITRE.ORG
Subject: RE: MGB roadster vs. convert
From: "Daren Stone, D2 Mfg. Engr. C5/6, 5-9521" <DSTONE@SC9.intel.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 92 16:18:36 PST
Bryan Blackwell writes;

I wasn't aware that there was a true roadster, that is, no soft top at
all.  Do you mean a car with a hardtop that fits any topless MGB, and if
so, did they generally come with both tops?

     >>I'm sure you'll get a barrage of well-meaning
     corrections on this when everyone returns from the
     holiday calorie festival, but let me be the first.

     Although "roadster" can be used to describe a car with
     no top at all, I'm sure what Phil had in mind when he
     was discussing the virtues of MGBs was something a tad
     different. "Roadster" as opposed to "convertible" is
     used to describe a vehicle that stows its folding top
     separately (a convertible has its top attached to the
     car, and thus stows it on or in it.) MGB-wise, the
     early series were roadsters and the later ones
     convertibles, but both had soft tops.
          As far as cars that came with *only* one type of
     top or another, the only one that quickly comes to mind
     is the 1963 Sunbeam Alpine GT, which came with either a
     hardtop or a softop, but not both. (Berkeley Bill
     correct me if I'm wrong ;-)

          I hope this made sense. cheers-
                                      dstone@sc9.intel.com