RE: ColourTune and Air/Fuel Monitor

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: ColourTune and Air/Fuel Monitor
From: "John (J.R.) Soucie" <soucie@bnr.ca>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1992 19:45:00 +0000
 I just checked the prices for Air/Fuel Monitors at J.C. Whitney and they are
in fact a lot cheaper than the K&N unit or the Edelbrock unit for $169 that
someone else mentioned. The gauge is part #38-3633A and is $35.95. The sensor
part # is 38-3638P and is $58.95. I have checked into all of this in the past
and there is a concensus that ALL sensors have the same output level therefore
you can get one anywhere you can get a deal or you can try and get a used one.
The only catch is you need the fitting to weld into you header collector pipes.
This was also available from K&N at around $10. It is basically a hefty nut but
you could probably waste more than 10 bucks of your time trying to find one.
The universality of the threads on the sensor is in question as well.
I don't have the K&N part number but it is probably in their general catalog.
If anyone needs the part number just let me know and I will hunt it down.
 If someone buys the J.C. Whitney unit I would be interested in knowing what is
inside it (probably an LM3915? bar graph display I.C. with a small resistor
network to calibrate it to read the correct air/fuel mixture in the middle of
the bar graph). I would have opened up the K&N unit a long time ago but the
plastic case is electronically welded and with a case size of around 1.5" square
the gouged and broken plastic after the job would not look very attractive!!