Re: Jaguar mews (engine mounts; drive ratios; wot colour; etc.)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Jaguar mews (engine mounts; drive ratios; wot colour; etc.)
From: "Andrew C. Green" <acg@hermes.dlogics.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 1992 09:54:35 CST
True Blue (PKR@SLACVM.SLAC.Stanford.EDU) writes:
> Which brings me to the subject of drive ratios. Why is it that all the US
> E-Types have such low ratio diffs? Mine is 3.54:1 whereas the British
> cars are closer to 3:1. Hey I'll never get to 155mph now! Was it because
> Americans were imposing a speed limit, or did someone think the acceleration
> was going to be better?

Sounds like a marketing decision. US speed limits are low anyway compared to
the rest of the world, so you might as well chop down the ratio and claim
great acceleration instead.

> Whatever happened to the argument I tried to start about synthetic engine
> oils. Castrol sells one for 4 times the price of XL. Is it worth it? Is it
> SOL endorsed?

IMHO, despite the horrendous price, it's going to get dirty just as soon as
regular oil, so you can't extend your change intervals to make up for the
added expense. Your car will survive quite nicely with the organic stuff.
Someone on the Mustangs list observed that it was only available in certain
weights that did not coincide with the recommended weights for those cars,
though that might not apply to yours. I've routinely run all my cars on
over-the-counter Valvoline, and the engines always purr happily despite
odometers running well past the 100K mark. YMMV.

-- Andy