Re: TR3 Suspension

To: uunet!autox.team.net!british-cars@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: Re: TR3 Suspension
From: dec254!reed@uunet.UU.NET (John Reed)
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 92 14:23:20 -0500
A bent vertical link is the most likely cause of TR front wishbones flexing
relative to each other when the vertical link is turned.  The ones I've seen
have the threaded lower portion bent out of alignment with the rest of the
vertical link.

I would recommend removing the vertical link and carefully examining
it for straightness.  You should be able to hold a straight edge along
the back of the link (side toward center of car) with one end at the center
of the ball joint hole and passing along the center of the stub axle.  The
center line of the lower threaded portion of the link should be in
the same plane with the straight edge.

If you can't verify the link is straight, I would recommend replacing
it.  A bent vertical link may cause excess control arm bushing wear and
poor handling.  The Triumph parts section of Hemming's is a good place to
find spares.

John