TR3 Suspension

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 Suspension
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@triumph.cs.utah.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 92 23:54:59 -0700
Hi,
        My TR-3A recently took a bit of a hit to the right front
side, and I've begun repairing the damage.  The stub axle looked
like it might have been bent, so I had it pressed out - yup, it
was bent.  So that got replaced, as well as the top ball joint
which felt a bit notchy.  All went back together nicely, but
after assembling the suspension, I turned the vertical link through
its range of motion.  The lower wishbone arms flex up and down
a bit as I turn the vertical link back and forth and the motion feels
stiffer than it seems like it should.  Am I just paranoid or should
I worry about this?  If I should worry, what parts are likely to be
bent?  I can imagine that if the threaded part of the vertical link
were at an angle relative to the rest of the link that it would
produce the above symptoms - am I on the right track here?  Its not
obviously bent, but it would be hard to tell for sure given the
geometries involved and I suppose that even a small error would
be a problem.

Thanks for any input.

John