Re: Triuph Spitefires & GT6s

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Triuph Spitefires & GT6s
From: Paul Thompson <paul@btcase.bt.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1992 17:33:55 GMT
<I'm interested in learning about Spitefires and GT6s.  From pictures the GT6
<looks like a coupe version of the Spitefire.  Is this so?  If the GT6 isn't
<based on the Spitefire, did it have a convertable version?  Did the Spitefire
<only come with a 4 cylinder engine?

The GT6 bodywork is indeed a coupe version of the Spitfire. The Spitfire has
always been a 4 cylinder car but there was speculation at the time it was
first built, it was called the Spitfire 4, that it would have a 6 cylinder
option.
In the sixties Triumph built several Le Man Spitfires with a fastback roof.
This car did well in its race category and lead to the development of a coupe.
This design eventually became the GT6. The 6 cylinder engine was used and the
suspension/brakes/transmission uprated to take the extra strain.

No Spitfire 6 was ever made (by Triumph). It is a popular option to take a
GT6 chassis and transmission and remove the body and replace it with a
Spitfire body shell. It is a relatively easy modification, just a bit of
hack saw work on the trans tunnel and bulkhead (keep the GT6 bonnet) and
it looks absolutely pukka.

I would'nt do this to my Spit however I like it just as it is. Who needs
0-60 in under 10s?

Paul.