MIG Welders and Jack Night LSD

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MIG Welders and Jack Night LSD
From: "John (J.R.) Soucie" <soucie@bnr.ca>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1992 17:34:00 +0000
 I have finally (after months of searching) found and rented a garage to start
rebuilding my '67 Mini Estate, 79 mini, 73 Porsche 914 (oops, not LBC!!). Which
brings me to my next question about MIG welders. I was all keen on picking up a
"Pocket Mig" type welder that runs on 110V. The purpose is to basically weld
body panels and I figured if it welds anything heavier...bonus. The problem is
that the shop only has one 15 Amp breaker(inside the house...which I don't rent)
that will be running the lights as well as the welder. Is this at all possible?
I have seen some MIG welders that require 110V 30amp. Are there any that will
run on 15 Amps or less (assuming I only use one light when I weld). If the 30A
versions are typical; can the welding current be turned down low enough to do
proper sheet metal welding and still be using less than 15 Amps wall current.

 On another subject, I have an old Jack Knight limited slip differential that I
got through my travels. It is the old type that uses "pawls"and at this point
is completely worn out and the pawls are missing. I have seen the pawls on sale
quite cheap($80 or $180) at Mini Seven. They seem to be trying to get rid of
them since this unit is probably long obsolete.
 My question is this: since I got the unit for free, is it possible to still get
the other internal parts with which to rebuild it for a reasonable price and
still come out a lot cheaper than buying a new LSD(quaiffe or salisbury) at
>$1000. Does the unit function well enough to make it desireable for use in at
least a straight line drag Mini and even better...a road racer. I know Jack
Knight makes great stuff that is usually quite expensive, but I am afraid the
unit is of such an old vintage that the design is obsolete; but the price of
the pawls is making me think that "liquidation prices" might make it cost
effective and good enough for weekend race fun at the drag strip.
 Where could I get the other internals? Should I contact Jack Knight directly?

Thanks;
John Soucie