Re: Self-destructing rear-end.

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: Self-destructing rear-end.
From: "Michael Gendimenico, SC9-32, 765-4903" <GENDIMEN@T12SYS.intel.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 92 12:03:39 PST
>     And that reminds me, say Mike, when are you going to
>     tell us about the self-destructing Spit rear-end ? ;-)
>
>          cheers-
>                 dstone@sc9.intel.com

OK, you made me do it.  I've been so busy, I haven't had time to post it.
Well, let's see, about 2 or 3 weeks ago I was driving home to Boulder Creek,
about 9:30 pm (in the GT6).  I was about 3 miles from home when I started to
hear some funny noises from the rear end and it kept getting worse, but I had
just passed a turnout and there wasn't really anywhere to stop, so I kept
going, I figured if I can get a bit farther I'll make it home.  I slowed down
to about 20 mph and got about 2.2 miles farther.  Then lots of noise, the
rear-end was gone and I coasted to a small open spot on the shoulder.  I got
out and peered under the passenger side of the rear to avoid being run down by
some crazy Hwy 9 driver.  Lots of gear oil about the rear and the u-joint
flange was torn from the housing.  I could see inside the rear-end and broken
off bolts in the housing.   Fortunately, I was only about a block from the
White Cockade pub.  So I went in there and drowned my sorrow in a couple of
pints of ESB while I waited for a AAA tow.  Surprisingly, the truck was there
in half an hour.  Got the car towed home and the driver un-hooked it at the top
of the driveway, hoping I could coast it back in.  The car won't budge, the
rear is locked up completely. Hooked it back up and backed it into the upper
driveway and it's been sitting there since (sob).  I'm trying to get my truck
going first since winter is coming up and I may need 4WD for skiing.

Soooo, while I'm writing I'll put out a call for a rear-end if anyone has a
spare laying around.  I don't know if the old one is salvageable.  My car is a
late '73 GT6, no rotoflex.  I believe the car has a Spit rear in it since
there's only four hold down studs for the spring.  I think it is geared for a
GT6 though (3.27:1) since it only tachs about 3000 rpms @60 MPH.  I know the
Spits are usually 3.89:1.  So if anyone can help or has advice let me know.

Mike G.
gendimen@t12sys.intel.com