Re: Stands and Jacks

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stands and Jacks
From: "Andrew C. Green" <acg@hermes.dlogics.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1992 10:01:22 CST
Some opinions off the top of my head:

Stands: Splurge the extra $10 or so and buy nice beefy ones with horrendous
high capacities. Four-footed bases are slightly better than three-footed,
and welded angle-iron (PROPERLY welded) is nicer than spot-welded heavy-
gauge sheet steel.

Jacks: Practically everyone seems to sell basically the same short-wheelbase
trolley jacks, with the exception of Sears, where I found a couple of very
nice long-wheelbase jacks. One was 1 1/2 ton capacity, which I think may be
discontinued; the other was 2 ton capacity. These resembled what you see in
service stations, and my $99 was very well spent. The long wheelbase and
wide saddle enables me to roll it anywhere under the car while still leaving
the handle free to quickly pump up the car. If you have a Sears nearby, go
check it out; I cannot recommend their long-wheelbase jacks highly enough.

-- Andy