Re: Question concerning a spitfire

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, jgj@BBN.COM
Subject: Re: Question concerning a spitfire
From: Paul Thompson <paul@btcase.bt.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1992 17:13:27 +0100

>Hello! I am new to this mailing list and am very happy that I found it.  Anyway
>I have a 1979 Triumph Spitfire that I bought this summer.  It ran well for the
>first few weeks and then it developed a problem where the engine would stop
>while I was driving it.  Getting it started after that was next to impossible.
>So my first quess was that it was a clogged fuel line or fuel pump, but I had a
>mechanic check it out who said that that was not the problem, but that my
>starter was going.  He also seemed to think that my ignition module was the
>reason for the car's stopping while I was driving it.  Has anyone out there had
>similar problems with Spitfires and do you have any advise, ideas or opinions
>that you would like to share which will be greatly appreciated.  If anyone
>wishes to contact me via e-mail please feel free to do so at my address below.
>Thank you all for listening.
>
>                                  Joseph Johnson
>                                  e-mail: jgj@bbn.com

What happens when it stops? does it splutter and miss a bit or does it just
die?

If it has SU carbs the first thing to look for is the classic 'missing heat
shield
problem'. You should have a head shield protecting the carbs from heat from the
exhaust
manifold. If this isn`t in place then you will have problems on hot days and in
slow
moving traffic.

It sounds like you have an electronic ignition system fitted. If so I do seem to
remember someone having a similar problem which was resolved by fitting a
complete new
unit.

I have a 1969 MKIII Spit which also had similar problems about a year ago. My
problem was that the fuel tank had water and rust and general muck swilling
around in it. A good clean got rid of the problem.

     Can you supply a few more details about what happens when it stops and how
you
get it going again.

Paul.