steering "clunk"

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: steering "clunk"
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 92 09:46:15 pdt
Since the snake is back on the road I've been listening and watching for
problems needing immediate attention.  I know the engine is in a bad way
but that not too big an issue because I plan to dump it in the long run
anyway; but I'm am concerned about drivetrain and suspension components.
One thing I've noticed is that the steering has what I would call a
"clunk" in it.  It's not something that's noticeable while driving but I
hear and feel it when I pull out of the driveway or make a slow speed
full-lock turn.  The steering is pretty much the same rack-and-pinion
unit as used on the MGB.  In fact, it looks identical from the exterior
though I know there are some interior differences.  Could this
"clunking" be from one or both of the u-joints on the steering wheel
shaft or is this more likely something in the gearbox or linkage.  Other
than this once-per-turn clunk (which I would describe as feeling like an
over-the-center bump), the steering is quiet and free of play.

Roland Dudley
cobra@hpcdcsn.cdc.hp.com
CSX2282