carb or gas?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: carb or gas?
From: william sadler <wsadler@silver.ucs.indiana.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1992 09:54:37 -0500
A couple of weeks ago my car suddenly stopped revving above 1500 RPMs
almost immediately after I had gotten some new gas.  I have been really
busy and didn't get a chance to work on it until this weekend.  I
added some octane booster and some water remover to the gas.  This
did not seem to help at all.  If the gas is really bad will I just have to
drain it out of the tank?  Or is it not bad gas at all?

I have checked the timing and the dwell.  Vacumn is good at idle with
no vacumn on accelleration, but then it never comes back once it
gets above 1500 rpm.

If I place my hand over the air intake and increase the vacumn
(and decrease the air flow) the car will run above 2000 RPM and higher.
So, there seems to be a bad gas/air mixture in the venturi.  I would
think that there is not enough gas since there seems to be too much air.
I made the mixture richer and managed to get the drop off point up to
1800 RPM, but I was afraid to go any richer on it.

Would bad gas allow the car to idle, but then not work at higher rpms?

I also checked and changed my fuel filter,  It seemed to be OK, but I
tried a different one to be sure.  Something I noticed was that the
fuel pressure from the pump was 3.9 lbs in front of the filter and
only 2.9 lbs after it.  The pump is normally supposed to push at 3.9
lbs.  Is the fuel filter impeding the flow of fuel or is this a normal
reading?

If this is a carbueration problem does anyone know a place to get original
stock parts for SU HS-6s?  In the past I have rebuilt my carbs with
off-brand stuff, and it never seemed very sturdy or even the right size.

Thanks

Will
c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c
c  _    _   ___    ___           Ceeasaurus!                      c
c | \  / | /   \  /   \  Will    | wsadler@copper.ucs.indiana.edu c
c |  \/  ||   __ |       Sadler  | or will@cica.indiana.edu       c
c |      | \___/  \___/       Bloomington, Indiana                c
c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c