Re: Looking for a SF area paint

To: British-Cars@autox.team.net, patrick_krejcik@QMAIL.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU
Subject: Re: Looking for a SF area paint
From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 92 16:18:37 -0400
        I've had some bad experiences with paint work in the past.  I think you
should be careful about cutting someone to their bottom dollar.  Painting is a
labor intensive process and it just costs money.  I had a guy cut corners on
on my paint job.  He didn't strip the old paint off which was very thick.  about
a year later, the new paint cracked.  Prep work means everything.
        Having said that, I think the prices you have gotten are very high.  As
a reference point, I have been calling around trying to find some places that
restore the body on my Healey.  One of the highest quotes I got was 7500.00.
This included: stripping the body of rust and paint, replacing all metal, epoxy
primer, final coat, and fitting the body panels.  He stands by his work for 5
years
as does the paint company.  From what you describe, your car needs to be
stripped
and painted.  Let me add that I have to completely disassemble the car before I
would give it to him.  I'm not sure if you are considering a complete teardown,
but you'll get the best paint job that way.  Since you require less work I would
assume your cost to be less. 4000 to 6000 is not out of the question.  If you
do a lot of the prep work, you could shave it down to 2000 to 3000.

woodruff@caen.engin.umich.edu

P.S. don't go cheap on your paint, you'll be sorry in the future.  Before you
consider a cut rate job, think about painting it yourself.  If had the time,
I'd rebuild and repaint the healey myself.  Its not that hard to get excellent
results.